Friday, December 26, 2008

'Tis the Season

Well Merry belated Christmas everybody! I had a wonderful Christmas this year, as I generally do. The holiday is not over though because we're visiting family for the next couple of days, which should be a lot of fun. Saturday, Sam & I were originally supposed to go to the Miami-St. John's game at the Garden but plans changed so I'm going to visit the fam in Jersey instead. I love how everyone has their own little traditions they have to do.

I was originally supposed to work on Christmas Eve, which I was pretty bummed about because I was going to miss everything that went on. Pop Pop comes over every year & so do my brothers & Kelly. Once I got to work, there was absolutely nothing for me to do & the only game was the ND-Hawaii game so I asked if I could go home since it was silly for me to be there. Luckily, I was able to & didn't miss a thing. Christmas Eve is the only holiday that we acknowledge that we have another heritage besides just Italian. On Christmas Eve, we have some Swedish food for my dad. Sill is the thing that we all dread. It's pickled herring & you have to have at least one piece. My piece is usually no bigger then my pinkie finger nail. The other usual food includes homemade mac & cheese, meatballs, shrimp & some other pickings. After dinner/dessert we open the presents from my grandparents & Uncle Den. Then we watch "It's a Wonderful Life" & cry. The last thing we do before bed is read "The Night Before Christmas". We have been doing this for as long as I can remember & it's definitely one of those traditions that's going to continue on when I have kids.

On Christmas morning, you wake up & open your stocking. Then you can go & look to see what Santa brought. My brothers & Kelly come in the morning & we open presents for several hours. When we were little we had a limit to how early we could get up & we had a door closing off the back porch so we couldn't see what was back there until my dad opened it. Pop Pop & Rae come over later in the day & we open presents with them & then eat for the rest of the day. This year we got Wii Fit so we worked off what we ate with that. That's about it as far as traditions go. I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

No comments: