Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight Movie Review

Everyone always says that the book was better then the movie & I think the only movie I might disagree with on that point is The Notebook. I read the book after seeing the movie & it was good, but the movie just added something to it. But I digress, what I came here to talk about today is Twilight. Samantha & I went to see the midnight showing of it last night like the big nerds that we are. I came away pleased with it but I'm realizing that the more I think about it, the more I didn't like it.

This book left quite a bit up to interpretation but there were certain things that were not to be interpreted. The vampires in the book are described as the most beautiful "human beings" she has ever seen. This group that was cast was certainly not that. Edward was attractive but the Edward in my head was so much better then that. Carlisle was also much more Brad Pitt-like then the guy who played him. Esme was also much prettier & taller then the actress who played her. Rosalie was the worst one, though. This character was described as the most beautiful woman to ever walk the earth & this actress was not even mediocre. Even I could've made a better Rosalie.

The special effects in the movie were also far too overdone. I think they tried too hard & just made it look silly. This may sound strange but the actors who played the vampires were far too human for those parts. The acting was poor & made the film far too cheesy. Nothing was really as I pictured it either. If I never read the book & saw the movie first, I would have no desire to read the books because I would think they would be as stupid as the plot of it all sounds.

The fact that I did read the book prior, however made me appreciate the movie. I might sound contradictory but I did like their interpretation of the book. Whereas with Harry Potter, if you didn't read the books there might be a lot of things you would be confused about, this did not do that. They shortened it by combining certain things & taking out the parts that dragged. They stayed very true to the book & they also put in a lot of Bella's thoughts, which I appreciated because I hate when a character's thoughts are such a big part of the book & then they are completely disregarded in the movie version. So all-in-all it certainly did not get 2 thumbs up in my opinion but definitely an A for effort. Get a new casting director for the next one & then we can talk some more.

No comments: