Sunday, November 23, 2008

Celebrity Baby Names

I'm writing this blog in honor of Ashlee Simpson & her new bouncing baby boy, Bronx Mowgli Wentz. What makes celebrities think they can name their children whatever they want? Do you think just because of who their parents are that they won't get made fun of by having a middle name that's reminiscent of a certain Jungle Book character? The kid's initials are BMW. Give me a break. That is the epitome of celebrity materialism.

Apparently the five boroughs also make great baby names. With the addition of little Bronx, we now have 4/5 of them. The Beckhams have taken care of Brooklyn, since that was where he was conceived. What the Beckhams were doing conceiving babies in Brooklyn, I will never know. We also have Queen Latifah, who I know is not a baby but she is a celebrity so she fits right now. We've got Apple Martin, which covers Manhattan (the Big Apple). All we need now is a little baby Staten. That pregnant man is pregnant again, maybe he can jump on the NYC bandwagon. Katy sent me an article on other places celebrity babies are named after.

As long as we already mentioned the Beckhams, they also have Romeo & Cruz, which I actually think are cute names. I also think Coco is cute, but it reminds me of a dog's name. That's probably because that's Amanda's dog's name. Shiloh is the name of Jade's cat & that is much cuter for a cat then for a baby. The Jolie-Pitts are repeat offenders. I mean come on, Knox? Lucky for them the kid will be stunningly beautiful with those parents. I'm pretty sure the adopted ones already had names when they got them so I won't count that against them. The name Suri has been accepted because she's just so adorable but I don't see it catching on for too many regular babies. Tom Cruise's ex, Nicole Kidman channeled Wednesday Adams from the Adams Family with her little Sunday. She should probably have 6 more & stick with that trend. Gwyneth Paltrow said she chose Apple because apples are sweet, which is the worst reason I've ever heard. Why'd you choose Moses then for your second kid? You've got Harlow Madden, named after Jean Harlow. Also Scout Willis, named after the "To Kill a Mockingbird" character. Who knows why Jessica Alba chose the name Honor? Let's not forget Sylvester Stallone's daughter Sage Moonblood, which I'm not even going to begin to try to explain.

I get they are all trying to be unique with their names but each one really just tries to outdo the next. I would like my children to have unique names but there are limits. I won't go naming them Yankee or Vodka or anything ridiculous like that because I happen to like it. I don't think naming them after a place is so awful but it shouldn't just be a random place like Alabama. I've always loved Texas, so I have Austin as one of my names if I have a boy. I also like Savannah for a girl, even though I have never been to Georgia I just enjoy the name. Whatever your reasoning, just remember your kids have to live with that the rest of their life. I am personally happy that I don't have celebrity parents just for that reason.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

First of all - LOVE the new header, Ms. Troll!!
Second, you crack me up. This was hysterical not only because you have such a great writing voice but because it's all so true!! I just wrote an article about naming your child and how it really is one of the most important parts of your child's life. Who wants to live with a bad name their entire life? I guess they could go get a legal name change but who wants to do that? (Unless you're Phoebe from Friends and want to change your name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock...)
Third, Coco thanks you for the shoutout! hehe