Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Have an Addiction Sir

Okay so I haven't exactly been a Giants fan all my life & I don't claim to have been, but now that I am I don't know how I ever was not. I always liked football but never really felt connected to a specific team like I did with the Yankees. I watched but was not enthralled. I didn't cheer quite as loudly as a real fan might. I was told by a now estranged friend that all Yankees fans are Giants fans so that's what I should be. Although I do not speak to this person anymore, I do owe a large part of my fan-ship to him. 

I did not feel this connection until I went to a Dolphins-Patriots game last year. You might think this is a bizarre time to realize you are a Giants fan but let me explain further. I went with Natalie who happens to be a Patriots fan. As a Yankee fan, I must automatically despise all things Boston so hating the Pats was an obvious choice. So wouldn't this make me a Jets fan? Not necessarily. At the time of this game, the Red Sox were in the playoffs & we somehow found ourselves seated in the Patriots section. When the chants of "Let's Go Red Sox" erupted randomly, I was appalled. Then the Patriots scored another touchdown & the man in front of me wearing a Sox hat turned around & high-fived me. I was not cheering for your team & I will never cheer with you, creep, so never touch me again! I almost threw up in disgust but at this point, I realized where my loyalties were. I had to like a team that Yankee fans like. Hence, I became a Giants fan at that very moment on October 21, 2007.

Coincidentally, the year I become a fan is the year they win the Superbowl. Go figure. I am not a bandwagon fan because I was a fan before a Superbowl run was even in our dreams, so don't go there. I was however a part of that entire run. I needed a favorite player in the beginning so my first choice was Jeremy Shockey, since he was a former Miami Hurricane. (As was Jeff Feagles, but how can your favorite player be the punter?) Once I really became a fan though, it was very difficult to decide my favorite. Osi Umenyiora probably holds the top spot, despite him missing this year. Brandon Jacobs, Justin Tuck & Mathias Kiwanuka all are up there, not to mention little Kenny Phillips, the Giants first round pick this year out of the U.

I have officially been converted & now Sundays without football are like Octobers without baseball...empty. I am now posted in front of the television every week with my #72 jersey on cheering for my team. I also now know every player, their position & number. I scream just as loudly now for the G-men as I do for them Canes & those damn Yankees, if not louder. I look forward to Sundays, simply for my Giants. They are my team now & will be for as long as I live.

No comments: