Monday, July 7, 2008

Superstition

Superstition is a funny thing. It is especially present in my favorite game of baseball but also in so many other aspects of life. For example, today I was in the nail salon & when someone itched their nose, a woman said, "Oh, you better not keep scratching it because an itchy nose means you're going to get into a fight." Now I of course have heard of this because of my wives-tale telling mother. But that got me to thinking how silly these things are. An itchy palm means you're going to get money. Dropping your silverware? Company is coming. A pimple on your tongue means you told a lie. This is not even mentioning black cats, umbrellas in the house, broken mirrors or walking under ladders.

Thinking about superstition & baseball, my first thought was of my former favorite Yankee who is more notorious of late for allegations about his steroid use, a Mr. Chuck Knoblauch. Ironic that someone who is so superstitious would use a performance enhancing drug to try to make himself better, why not rely on a lucky rabbit's foot? Before every pitch, he would have to take a step back, stick his bat between his legs, adjust his batting gloves, tap his foot with the bat, touch the helmet & then he was finally good to go. Most other players have some sort of pre-pitch routine but that one has always stuck out to me. Nomar & Barry Zito also come to mind. So many other things in baseball are centered around superstition, such as rally caps & not talking about a no-hitter.

I have some superstitious behavior, but nothing too crazy. I do certain things just because they are "good luck" & always make wishes at 11:11, although I don't know if that's really considered superstition.

No comments: