Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Devil is in the Details

OK so I don't wanna brag or sound conceited but I am far too over-qualified for my internship. I have found this at most of my internships but this one is "like whoa", as Mya would say. During Newsvision we would all complain about our professor, SR. Now I can see why he was so successful in the business for so many years & why he drilled all of that into us, no matter how much we don't think he did. He constantly told us "the devil is in the details" which means that in order to have a good newscast you have to make sure every little thing is correct.

My9 does NOT practice this. First of all, during the show the screen just went black for a good 10 seconds, not a good start. Then, instead of saying Ohio, the fill-in anchor (who is a mega-bitch BTW) said Iowa. This was followed by a CG that said Ohio, so clearly some cognitive dissonance there for those few viewers that we probably have. Next, the mistake that got to me more then any of these is that a lower-third graphic was spelled wrong! This is a professional news station, those things should not happen! And who of all people spotted this? Yea, me. But I guess nobody likes to listen to the new kid because it was not taken down. Somebody said something after & they didn't even seem to care.

The writing was also awful. SR would never approve. Let's not even talk about the sports guy & his New Jersey accent on steroids. I can't listen to him speak, it's so obnoxious. All the things that went wrong were the same things that would occasionally go wrong for us on Newsvision, but we're students so it's understandable. Those things going wrong on an actual network are just unacceptable. I don't think it'll be too hard to make myself stand out & be the greatest intern they have ever seen. YES Network, here I come!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I COMPLETELY understand. I hate when things like that happen. It's like umm hello don't you proofread? And of course it's you and me who pick out the errors and since we're the young ones who probably don't have as much as experience we may not be taken seriously. And also how can you ever put it down on paper that you have an eagle eye?! That's what Kelly calls me.. haha