Monday, July 14, 2008

All-Star Game

One of my most favorite sporting events is here! No, it doesn't compare to the Yankees in the World Series or the Superbowl but the All-Star Game is still up there in my top 3. The All-Star Game in baseball is just so much more enjoyable than the basketball game or the Pro-Bowl, but maybe that's because baseball is my sport.  The fact that this year's is at Yankee Stadium makes it even better than past years.

The thing about the All-Star Game is the fact that it's a time that the players can just play baseball & have fun, rather then worrying about winning or losing. They bring their kids on the field & it's just great to see. I love watching all of them because of how much fun they have. It's not just your team interacting with one another, it's every team. It's such a unifying event, I love it. It must be amazing for young players experiencing this for the first time, especially if they've never been to Yankee Stadium before. They get to play on the same field that every great player before them played on with the greatest players in the game today.

My team is the American League obviously, so it's the only day of the year that I can legitimately cheer for players on other teams who I like but obviously don't want to do good. Ichiro always gets me excited & believe it or not, I even cheer for David Ortiz (but NEVER Manny). It could be the only day that I don't hate Manny though. Before Alex was on the Yankees, it was my happiest day because it was the only day he was on my team. I've always loved him since his Seattle days (& always will despite recent allegations against him).

I would've done anything to go to the game this year but I did not have $600 for one bleacher seat (let alone $10,000 for a good seat) so this dream was crushed. The pre-game ceremonies that are going to go down at the Stadium are going to be so amazing. So many Hall of Famers in baseball's catheral, it's going to be like baseball heaven. I know there's no crying in baseball, but I can guarantee you that sports tears will flow HEAVY from these ducts tomorrow.

No comments: