Friday, May 23, 2008

The Age of the Jetsons is Upon Us

Technology is the most amazing thing ever.  We can now do things that we never dreamed we would actually be able to do.  Video chatting, for example has become a common occurrence in my life.  I always had a webcam but never ever used it because there was just too much that went along with it.  Then I became a Mac user (& once you go Mac, you don't go back.)

Sam popped my video chat cherry.  When I was home for Christmas break we did it & it was like we were together, it was great.  It wasn't until Sarah got a Mac, however that the real fun began.  We video chat all the time.  She, Danielle & I have even played Kings & War over the computer (yes I know, we're big losers).  When the girls were visiting at Marist we video chatted & I got to "hang out" with everybody.  Granted, I didn't get to go to Palace Diner with them but it was the next best thing to actually being there.  I've also spent some holidays with the Mitchells & was given a tour of their new house.  I have shown everyone my house here in Miami & even set off the alarm in the process (oops).  I also met all of Sam's friends because we Skyped when she was home.  Now Francesca jumped on the Mac train & all thanks to video chat I was able to see her new nose!

Now it's even bridging continents.  Troy & Josh are in Rome & I Skype with them all the time.  Troy met my mom & Maggie via the computer.  The time difference is a big one so it's usually when they are just getting home & are blatantly intoxicated but that just makes it better!

I prefer iChat over Skype simply because of the foreigners who constantly harass me for my friendship (or hand in marriage in some cases) on Skype but for those who are not fortunate enough to have a Mac, Skype works just fine.  As for this whole technology thing, I cannot wait until I have my own Rosie Robot.

No comments: