Saturday, January 10, 2009

Let's Get Ready to Rumble

With the playoffs going on & my Giants playing tomorrow, you might think that this post will be about football. Well surprise! You thought wrong. I'm actually going to write about basketball & hockey, two sports I don't believe I have ever discussed on this blog. You may also ask, but Amy, what do these sports have to do with one another? Well I will answer that question a bit later on, so stick around.

First off, let's make a few things clear. I am not a hockey fan, but because I've had to watch it as of late with my job, I have come to the conclusion that I no longer hate it. I lean towards the Devils & probably the only reason for that is Zach Parise. That stud certainly has a little piece of this heart. I also have to watch NBA games at My9 so I have begun to care more about the NBA than just the Playoffs. I would also now have to say that I have become a Nets fan. Vince & Devin Harris are my favorites. I might even go as far as to say that I'd cheer for them over the Lakers, which is really saying something since I own a Kobe jersey & all. I still stick with my guns that the NBA is not as good as college hoops but it's growing on me.

Now here is why I decided to write about these sports in the same entry: fighting. I have a bit of a gripe about this. Obviously in hockey, the players are allowed to fight. A couple of days ago, a guy from the Senators bit somebody & drew blood through his gloves! Call me crazy but that's a little out of hand. On the other side of that spectrum is basketball. Jack McClinton (another love of mine) was ejected from the Miami-Ohio State game for a "flagrant foul" & Miami went on to lose that game because of it. I was watching the game & he barely touched the kid! It was an absurd call, especially because it came after the Ohio State kid hit Jack first with no foul called. I'm not advocating fighting in basketball but if somebody hits you, you should at least be able to get a little slap in to defend yourself. If Jack wanted to really hit this kid, trust me he wouldn't have just slapped him. I mean call a foul or something, that's fine but an ejection? Let the boys play. If you can all-but take off your skate & slice someone's throat in hockey, I'm pretty sure they can be a little more lenient in basketball.

That's all I've got. Done venting, thanks for listening (or uh, reading.) Go Giants!

No comments: