Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"The City"

With the premier of "The City" on MTV, a lot of my friends & I have been discussing the show. I think the general consensus is that we like it, if for no other reason than just because we're familiar with the places they've been going. Although most of the set-ups & conversations are obviously fake, I still enjoy watching it. I was very skeptical about it because if anyone should have their own reality show in NYC, it should be me. But I gave it a chance & I admit that I do like it. I do have a theory about it, however.

A while ago, I saw something (I believe on MTV.com) that was asking for girls who were into fashion, going out to nice clubs, etc. from NY that could be comparable to the girls from "The Hills". I of course forgot about it & never sent in my tape on time, or else who knows what this show could be like. Olivia Palermo is a socialite or "social" as she likes to refer to herself as. She is known in these little circles of uptown snobs & has been featured in New Yorker magazine. Her dad, who happens to be her supplier of money, is also broke. He lost a multi-million dollar bankruptcy suit. Little Olivia, in fear of losing her lifestyle obviously thought she would be the perfect candidate for such a show & the money it offered would be an added bonus. So she somehow got her father to pull some strings & get her a job at Diane von Furstenburg. When push comes to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if she heard Whitney would be working there & somehow weaseled her way onto the show that way. Or was she the one who suggested the job for Whitney in the first place! Who knows, but I hate her. It seems like Whitney has more responsibilities than her anyway & she sort of works under her. Kelly Cutrone, Whitney's old boss, said she knew who Olivia was & was very surprised when she found out that the girl was actually working. I think Kelly was thinking along the same lines as I was. I also found it hilarious when she told Whitney that she shouldn't rely on a guy & she should be independent. Perhaps someone should let Ms. Palermo know that being independent does not mean relying on one's father's money.

As for the other characters on the show, I generally like them. Whitney is more interesting then I thought she would be & she's super nice so I of course continue to like her. Jay bothers me. That whole apartment thing really annoyed me, because nobody finds such a perfect apartment in NY that easily. Erin seems very cool & I'd totally be friends with her. My question is how are her & Whitney friends? That just popped up out of nowhere. I guess she won the MTV show idea & she & Whitney were just supposed to pretend that they go way back. Either way, I will continue to watch & keep looking for my face in the crowds of "The City".

No comments: