Tuesday, June 10, 2008

O.C.D.

So some of you may know this but most of you do not & what this is, is that I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. After reading this, you may find me weirder than you ever did before & I can't really say that I blame you. These are the things that I need: things to be in order, even, centered & 5 is my number. But let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start).

When I was little, I'd put things in order just for fun. Now keep in mind my brothers are 6 & 8 years older then me so I was often my only playmate, so that could be where my weirdness comes from. But when I say put things in order, I mean I loved rolling the coins. I also used to take out all the crayons from that huge box just to put them in color order (you know, red, orange, yellow, green, blue purple, pink, red, etc, etc.) Whenever anyone would come over and we would color, I'd not only get mad if they didn't color inside the lines but I would hate if they put the crayon back in the wrong spot. And let's not start with my POGs (remember those). I would take out my 3 tubes worth & put them in size, shape, and color order. I've kind of grown out of that but only to an extent.

I have very particular ways of doing things. When I eat, I have to make sure I chew evenly on both sides. One bite goes to the right side & the next bite goes to the left side. When I eat fruit snacks I have to make sure they are even in color so I start out with the color that has the most. If a color has 3 fruit snacks, I choose the most deformed one of the three first so that way all the perfect ones are saved for the end when I have one of every color. I had to even make sure this blog was equal in both columns (hence why I added pictures to the other column).

Those pictures also have another purpose. Notice there are 10 pictures & 5 azuzephres (I love those BTW). This is probably my oddest trait. I need things done in fives. Let me explain further. I put on 5 swipes of deodorant for each arm. I feed my turtle 5 pellets of each kind of food. The volume on my television must be in an increment of 5. If I'm at someone's house & I notice the volume is not on an increment of 5, I usually wait until they leave the room & change it so it is. This used to drive my housemates crazy because 15 was not loud enough and 20 was too loud (I settled on 17 or 18 sometimes, just as long as it wasn't touching the 5 or the 0.)

I don't know why I am this way. I am apparently not alone though & I won't name names so not to incriminate them. But I have one friend who shares my affinity for colors. Two of my friends might even be weirder then I am with all the things they need to do. One needs everything to be an even number so our volume must always be 20 or 30 because she cannot accept 15 or 25. So think what you like, but I guess I tend to surround myself with those who make me more comfortable with who I am or who are just as bizarre as me. End of paragraph #5.

1 comment:

KSButterfly447 said...

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe not to the full extent of 5's, but I do things in twos. I need to flick the alarm clock on and off twice. Every time. I seem to have the volume always on 22. I also had a thing of organizing my stuff. When you are an only child, no one really touches your stuff, so you have things the way you like and are used to no one touching it. You were like an only child in that way. Your brothers were too old to be the one playing with your stuff. I think everyone has a sort of OCD, but I don't share the chewing thing from side to side and the fruit chews.

P.S. There were "10" sentences in that comment.