Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reboot. Restart. Let's try this Again...

I haven't read some of these old posts in a while & I seriously almost forgot how funny I was! Holy Hannah, I'm a hoot! I actually have quite a bit going on in my life right now & I always used to find this as a good way of therapy so I decided to start over. Welcome back, to me. I also live alone & get in these super creative moods & don't know what else to do. Sooo, you're welcome.

I am so pumped for tomorrow! I work at ESPN & tomorrow, Jim Abbott will be coming to campus! I always say that my very first actual baseball memory is his no-hitter. I now consider myself a bit of a baseball historian so I obviously know about all of the Yankees that came before him, but I don't actually remember them. People also always accuse this Yankee fan of just liking them only when they started getting good again. 100% UNTRUE.

That is where Jim Abbott comes in. When Jim Abbott pitched his no-hitter, I was 7 years old. But that is the day I officially became a Yankee fan. September 4, 1993. The Yankees hadn't won a title in forever & Donnie was in the twilight of his career.

Pop Pop was over our house for some reason, either bringing us a gift of some sort or over for dinner. Whenever he was at the house & the Yankees were playing, he would go in the living room & watch the game. It didn't matter what you were watching before & we only had 1 TV, so we had to watch what Pop Pop wanted to watch. My brothers would go upstairs but I would always sit & watch & talk with Pop Pop. I'd watch games but nothing ever really stands out to me as memorable. Until September 4, 1993. I was 7 so I didn't really comprehend the importance or rarity of a no-hitter but I did understand what I was looking at. A man with one arm was pitching & pitching really, really well. After that, how can you not be hooked on such a beautiful game!

I equate the amount I love baseball with the amount I love Pop Pop because those 2 things always went together. Whenever I think of 1, I think of the other. Now that he is no longer with us, I still feel like he's around every time I watch a game & so I think about him every day. So when it comes down to it, I want to thank Jim Abbott tomorrow, for making me fall in love with this game & keeping Pop Pop in my life.

I didn't realize what this post would turn into! I'm def crying now haha. I better not cry tomorrow in front of Jim Abbott! I'm really hoping for a picture with him & then I can repost it tomorrow & let ya'll know how it goes.

No comments: