Friday, April 24, 2009

Kids Today!

Yesterday I was watching "Chelsea Lately" & my dad walks in the room as Chelsea is commenting on penis size. This caused my dad to turn around the other way & laugh about how the times have changed. Well it's true the times have changed & I'm not even talking about from the times of my dad to the times of me. I'm talking about from the time I was in 8th grade to kids that are in 8th grade now. I was getting my nails done recently & Tyra was on & it was about "sexting". A phenomenon I had never heard of, although it was pretty easy to figure out what it meant. There were girls 13 & 14 years old that were sending their boyfriends naked pictures of themselves! Also very dirty texts with things I did not even know what they meant at that age. I got embarrassed when they were just reading them on the show. I barely even kissed a boy when I was that old, let alone anything else.

When I was 4, I wanted to be Ariel, the Little Mermaid. Little girls today? Hannah Montana. The main difference: Ariel was not white trash, she was a cartoon princess. In exchange for those little underwater lovable Snorks, kids today have Spongebob. This show has more inuendo adult humor then Superbad. That's another thing! Kids don't have good, quality learn-your-lesson kinds of movies. There is no more Disney movie to make you feel every emotion known to man. They have to rely on the movies that came out when we were kids to teach them their lessons. I actually feel bad for kids today. My best friend Meghan was not allowed to watch "Saved by the Bell" when we were growing up. Her mom thought the show was too old for her. What would Maureen have said about "Gossip Girl"? They are supposed to be the same age as those kids from Bayside High, but there is way more adult content then just Zack & Kelly making out & everyone going "ooooooh". Parents are not shielding their youngsters from these things.

The music is different too. We had Britney when she was still sane & dating Justin Timberlake, then the frontman of NSYNC. Now all NSYNC has come down to is Joey Fatone out at Libation for Amanda & Angela's birthday (haha). Where I had Raffi, they now have Kidz Bop, which has kids singing the Pussycat Dolls & other inappropriate songs. PCD were on the Kids Choice Awards & didn't tone down their sexuality even a little bit. Way to be role models, girls! Katy Perry kissing girls wasn't even in the vicinity of being on the radio when we were young. What would my mother have done if that song came on the radio & I sang along?? I'm laughing just thinking about that actually. How the times have changed! There are so many things that even I, a girl who has seen it all will still shake my head & say "Kids Today!"

No comments: