Monday, January 26, 2015

That (Sometimes) Funemployed Life

As I sit here outside of Starbucks on this beautiful day in sunny California, my friends and family on the east coast await a blizzard of historic proportions.  It's times like these when I know I made the right choice.  They weren't lying when they said the weather here is amazing.  I'm not entirely sure who "they" are but my guess is people from California.  I've been here almost 2 months and I don't miss the east coast weather at all...but I do miss the east coast.
I'm still working on my friend game here.  Also working on the job hunt.  Also working on the relationship of living with a boy/my boyfriend for the very first time.  Believe it or not, I think that's the easiest of the 3.
Everyone freaked me out that we wouldn't be ready for such a big step in our relationship considering we had only been dating for about 6 months when I moved here.  It's been challenging for sure but we are making it work.  We're not even sick of each other yet!  In fact, I look forward to weekends so much just so I can hang out with him more.  It helps that he's such a stud.
He works at LinkedIn so during the week, I have to find ways to entertain myself.  So far, I've done a lot of crafting.  That's an understatement, actually.  I go to Michael's so often, we have started referring to "Michael" as my other boyfriend.  I've crocheted, I've wood-burned, I've painted, I've scrapbooked, I've made jewelry, I started an herb garden, I've made things for the walls, I've made things on Pinterest that I've always wanted to make.  If it's possible, I've almost crafted myself out.  Hence, why I'm blogging.
It hasn't been easy so far.  It's hard to complain though, especially because nobody feels bad for me.  I quit my job to follow my heart and be with my perfect guy in his perfect apartment in a perfect-weather place that includes a heated pool and various hot tubs throughout.  Our complex has a gym so I also work out.  Ohhh girl look at that body.  Ugh.  Girl look at that body.  Sorry, I get easily distracted.
So any who...the other night I was in the hot tub doing some thinking (it's a rough life, I know.)  It's frustrating as hell applying for/getting rejected by what seems like thousands of jobs at this point and it doesn't help when people ask about it, either.  I guess I just thought by having worked at ESPN and having my Master's, that it wouldn't be this hard to find something.  It's also the fact that I don't know exactly what I want to do anymore that adds to the frustration and confusion.  I started to cry thinking about it.  Then, I wanted to slap myself in the face.  How can I feel bad for myself while sitting in a hot tub?!
So I know it's not exactly "whoa is me" but transitional phases are no walk in the park (although that's exactly what I'm about to do.)  Not having any friends is the worst.  My live-in lover is amazing but it's just not the same watching The Bachelor by yourself and commenting to your cat how crazy these bitches are.  Speaking of terrible television, another way of keeping myself occupied has been binge-watching Pretty Little Liars.  I'm not even embarrassed about it.
But this is where my life has taken me and I'm going to keep "struggling" to make the best out of it and continue smiling at as many dogs as I can find. :)

You'd like to see what I've been crafting?  Oh, ok.  I'll show you...
Key holder (My first wood-burning project)
Maine nail/string outline + wood-burned hoME

Herb Garden (wood burned + mason jars where herbs will live)

Dreamcatcher Bracelet

Crocheted headband

Crocheted Placemat

Crocheted fingerless gloves

No comments: