Saturday, June 27, 2009

Reverse Feminism

I wish I lived in the old times. That women's liberation movement really screwed everything up for me. Everything was so much simpler & there weren't such mixed signals & different options. Back then, you met someone, you got married & you had a family. That was it. You didn't have so many single parents, divorces, technologies or cheating.

Maybe I watch too much TV but why couldn't I have lived in England during the Elizabethan era? Life was so easy. You met someone, or maybe didn't even meet them, but you got married & always lived happily ever after. Your father sold you for a goat & that was it. No worrying about if he calls or texts you or whether or not you should text him or what you should say & worrying about whether you come off as too needy. There was no calling during that time. If you didn't hear anything the next day, you didn't automatically think you screwed it up. It was totally normal because you'd have to wait for the man to come on horseback & deliver you a hand-written note from your lover. If the prince stole your horse, you'd just throw apples at him & then you guys would eventually fall in love after you gave him false information & you would become a princess & screw over your wicked stepmother & stepsister! If your sister had a baby with the king, it mattered not, you could still marry him & force him to disconnect with the Catholic Church in order to marry you! You could be a maiden in court & fall for a poet after dressing up as a man in order to perform in a play & then that poet would go on to become the most famous in all the world! Such simple times.

I'm not saying I'd like to have lived during the hard times in America because those sound so unappealing to me. England was where it was at. I have no interest in being June Cleaver or Rosie the Riveter, but Ann Boleyn really had the life (until she was beheaded of course.) It was just such an easy life to have. What happened to the old fashioned gentleman? Today, there are men like Tucker Max who get rich & famous because of their drunk antics & sexual conquests. On the other hand there are also women like Chelsea Handler who have done the same thing. But think what a better world it would be if we all had English accents & watched knights in shining armor winning our love. Dating was not even a long process. It basically went man meets woman, they like each other, they get married, the end. Dating now has become almost none existent because why buy the ice cream truck when you're getting the popsicles for free?

I don't care if I vote. I'd like to wear a corset & have someone dress me. It really doesn't sound all that bad if you ask me! In the words of Avril Lavigne, "Why'd you gotta go & make things so complicated?" Thanks a lot for burning your bras, ladies you really screwed it up for the rest of us.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Stopping by from 20sb!

I completely love this post! I agree with every word. Every time I watch a period piece with Keira Knightly or some other actress I sit in awe wishing I lived during those times (especially somewhere in England...) Things are way too complex nowadays!

Great blog! :)

Unknown said...

Yes!!! I totally agree!! Feminism has screwed us all!!

I hate not being respected as a woman! There was a time when men wouldn't cuss or spit in front of us, they would stand up when we entered a room, tip their hats when greeting us.

A man would pursue you. You wouldn't have to make a move or wonder if you should. He would come to "call" at your home. Ask your father for your hand in marriage, he would respect you.

I want that to come back!

(I have a whole lot more to say on the matter, but that would be a whole 'nother blog entry! haha.)

Here here, Sister!!