Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Talkin' Baseball

Let me start off first & foremost by saying how much I love this team! If you're not an avid reader of the blog, let me just inform you that "this team" that I speak of is none other than the NY Yankees. It's the first time in a long time that I actually feel like we are a team, rather then just a bunch of individual superstars playing together. We don't give up & really seem to be having fun playing, which is exactly how it should be! The pie in the face is my favorite & it really cracks me up. These new guys in the clubhouse are a welcome addition!

If you know me even remotely you know there are 2 things that I can jabber on & on about for days: pizza & baseball. What I love about talkin' baseball is that anyone who loves baseball loves talking about it. Everyone loves hearing everyone else's opinions & thoughts & it's just a way to bring people together all over the world. Pop Pop & I have been talkin' baseball ever since I was a wee one. It used to be him telling me all the stories of great Yankees past & present & I would listen & take it all in. I owe this man every ounce of Yankee fandom that exists in me. Eventually it became what it is now & every time we get together we talk about the latest games, acquisitions, etc. He even calls me after a good play or a home run so we can talk about it. I love it so much.

Being a girl, guys find it unusual that I know so much about baseball so they feel it necessary to quiz me on my intellect. I always succeed with flying colors & they see that I am a worthy companion to talk baseball with. If I quizzed them, I might not be so impressed but they just don't believe that a girl can know so much until I prove them wrong. I actually get incredibly turned off if I know more about sports then a boy does because clearly he is not man enough for me. A necessary quality of a husband for me is that we need to be able to have good sports conversations. The male members of my immediate family are not exactly sports savvy & my brother's best friend even requested an audience with yours truly because he can't talk sports enough with my brother.

It's funny how sports can be such a bonding/breaking point. Everybody needs that friend or two that they can debate sports points with. I loved being at Marist & then Miami because there were so many different views that people had & it made for much more interesting talk. Sometimes those views were too divergent from my own & fights nearly ensued several times but I gotta respect anybody who can equal my passion. A girl doesn't get a tattoo for something she only likes a little bit. There's not enough diversity on this island for my liking & too many pretend fans if you ask me. This will not stop me though, from constantly trying to find new people to talk sports with.

No comments: